Julian W. Wells
Julian Wells has practiced law as a commercial litigator since 1989. As a litigator representing Fortune 500 companies, closely held businesses and individuals, Julian has a knack for understanding his clients' business needs, as well as their legal ones.
Julian brings his keen litigation skills to a range of commercial issues, including securities arbitration and litigation, fiduciary liability claims, employment-related matters, intellectual property matters, construction disputes, real estate litigation, banking litigation, shareholder disputes, and trusts and estates litigation.
His clients run the gamut from brokerage firms, financial institutions and insurance companies to real estate developers, retailers, manufacturers and service providers. He has handled thousands of litigations, arbitrations and disputes throughout the country during his career.
Julian is adept at both trial work and alternative dispute resolution, having resolved many multimillion-dollar matters through mediation and arbitration. Julian appears frequently in both state and federal courts in New Jersey and New York, as well as in arbitrations throughout the country.
Previously Julian worked at Paul Weiss Rifkind Wharton & Garrison LLP, Perkins Coie LLP and Riker Danzig Scherer Hyland & Perretti LLP.
EducationNew York University School of Law, J.D. (1989)Amherst College, B.A., cum laude (1985)University of Nairobi (1984)
New Jersey New York U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit U.S. District Court, New Jersey U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York U.S. District Court, Western District of New York U.S. Tax Court
Benchmark Litigation’s Definitive Guide to America's Leading Litigation Firms and Attorneys, "Local Litigation Star" Best Lawyers in America®, Commercial litigation New Jersey Super Lawyer, Business Litigation Top 100 Lawyers in New Jersey, Super Lawyers Award Methodology
- Won a multimillion-dollar judgment for a bank following a federal court trial and obtained complete dismissal of all lender liability counterclaims that had been asserted against the client.
- Obtained dismissal with prejudice of all claims for breach of fiduciary duty and personal surcharge that had been asserted against our client, a trustee of a $60+ million trust.
- Recovered for our client the entirety of a $10 million-plus claim in a federal civil forfeiture action involving loan collateral that had been blocked by the Office of Foreign Asset Control and seized by the U.S. Government based on alleged wire fraud crimes.
- Assisted in an extensive anti-money laundering investigation, and handled inquiries from the U.S. Attorney’s Office and the Internal Revenue Service, on behalf of a major broker-dealer whose customer was indicted by a federal grand jury for alleged money laundering.
- Successfully resolved a multimillion-dollar “fair value” appraisal action brought in chancery court by the dissenting shareholders of a larger manufacturer following a corporate merger.
- Obtained arbitration ruling completely in favor of U.S. subsidiary of Asian conglomerate in a post-acquisition purchase price dispute, resulting in full adjustment in favor of the client.
- Successfully represented the fiduciaries of a $100 million estate in a will contest.
- Resolved numerous claims brought against a broker-dealer client involving the sale of structured products.