Joshua S. Bratspies
Joshua Bratspies, a commercial litigator, has handled a wide variety of business disputes and commercial issues. A dedicated advocate, Josh knows how to achieve clients’ objectives in a cost-efficient and effective manner. The hallmarks of his practice are preparation and attention to detail, as well as a keen understanding of clients’ business needs and expectations.
Throughout his career, Josh has successfully represented Fortune 500 companies, closely held businesses and individuals in complex commercial matters. His experience includes contract disputes, employment-related matters, intellectual property matters, real estate litigation, banking litigation and trusts and estates litigation. Josh has handled hundreds of litigations, arbitrations and disputes during his career, and he appears regularly in both state and federal courts, as well as arbitrations throughout the country.
Josh also has extensive experience representing brokerage firms in securities matters before the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA). He has handled hundreds of sales practice claims against broker-dealers alleging unsuitability, churning, unauthorized trading, failure to supervise, failure to follow instructions, fraud and breach of fiduciary duty. Josh has also recovered millions of dollars in defaulted securities-backed loans for broker-dealers and their affiliates and has successfully defended them against allegations of fraud in the inducement, misrepresentation, wrongful forced liquidations and other lender liability claims. In addition, he has successfully handled numerous civil and criminal asset forfeiture proceedings where forfeiture was sought of assets that were pledged as collateral for securities-backed loans.
Previously, Josh worked for Riker Danzig Scherer Hyland & Perretti LLP. Before becoming an attorney, he worked for the United States Department of Justice, where he investigated allegations of government misconduct and corruption for the Office of the Inspector General.
EducationSeton Hall University School of Law, J.D., cum laude (2001) Member, Law ReviewUniversity of Maryland, B.A., cum laude (1998) Phi Beta Kappa
New Jersey New York District of Columbia U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
New Jersey Super Lawyer Rising Star (since 2011)Award Methodology
- Defeated preliminary injunction application, obtained summary judgment and prevailed on appeal on behalf of a pharmaceutical company in a multi-million dollar lawsuit alleging misappropriation of trade secrets.
- Obtained dismissal with prejudice of all claims for breach of fiduciary duty and personal surcharge that had been asserted against the trustee of a $60+ million trust.
- Favorably resolved a series of contract and zoning litigations for an international real estate company stemming from its development plans for a 300+ acre property.
- Assisted in an extensive anti-money laundering investigation, and handled inquiries from the U.S. Attorney’s Office and the Internal Revenue Service, on behalf of a major broker-dealer whose customer was indicted by a federal grand jury for alleged money laundering.
- Won a several hundred thousand dollar arbitration award for a brokerage firm, representing the full amount owed under an employee loan plus interest, and obtained a complete dismissal of all employment-related counterclaims.
- Recovered for our client the entirety of a $10 million plus claim in a federal civil forfeiture action involving loan collateral that had been blocked by the Office of Foreign Asset Control and seized by the U.S. Government based on alleged wire fraud crimes.
- Secured summary judgment for a financial services firm and obtained a complete dismissal of a $1+ million federal lawsuit alleging breach of a services contract.
- Obtained complete dismissal of a series of claims against a bank seeking tens of millions of dollars in connection with alleged improper lending practices.