Caitlin T. Shadek
Caitlin Shadek practices in Sherman Wells' Litigation Group. In her career, Caitlin has been involved in complex commercial litigation matters in state and federal courts and ADR. Caitlin has substantial experience defending professional malpractice actions against large international law firms and attorneys. Caitlin’s experience includes malpractice matters arising from underlying intellectual property and contract disputes, FINRA arbitrations, complex commercial disputes and tax advice. Caitlin also has experience counseling clients in litigation involving financial institutions with a particular emphasis in matters concerning lender liability suits, fraud, negotiable instruments, loan participations, commercial foreclosure, asset recovery and loan workouts. In particular, Caitlin has handled numerous claims brought under Articles 3 and 4 of the Uniform Commercial Code. Caitlin has also advised clients in litigation matters involving contract, partnership, shareholder and commercial lease disputes.
After law school, Caitlin served as a judicial clerk to the Honorable Jaynee LaVecchia, Supreme Court of New Jersey. Previously, Caitlin was associated with the law firms of Riker, Danzig, Scherer, Hyland & Perretti LLP and White & Case LLP.
EducationSeton Hall University School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude (2008)
Colgate University, B.A., cum laude (2005)
- Member, Order of the Coif
- Member, Seton Hall Law Review
- Authored, “A First Amendment Breach: The National Security Agency’s Electronic Surveillance Program” 38 Seton Hall L. Rev. 1197 (2008)
- Recipient, Chicago Title Award for Highest Average in Property
New Jersey New York U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
New Jersey Super Lawyers “Rising Star” Award Methodology
- Obtained a directed verdict at trial of the plaintiff's claim of conversion under the Uniform Commercial Code against our client, a bank, for allegedly depositing checks with a forged indorsement.
- Successfully dismissed a million dollar claim of negligence against our client for allegedly depositing and cashing checks forged by the plaintiff’s Treasurer.
- Successfully represented commercial lenders in commercial foreclosure actions and related commercial note and guaranty actions, recovering both commercial properties and obtaining significant judgments against guarantors.
- Successfully defended a multi-million dollar malpractice arbitration filed with JAMS against a large New York law firm, which resulted in a finding of no damages after a week-long hearing.
- Subpoena Compliance, a CLE Program presented to Banking clients.
- Common Privilege Issues In-House Counsel Encounter Litigation and Commercial Practices, sponsored by the New Jersey Corporate Counsel Association in December 2012.